What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal Fillers are made of hyaluronic acid, a sugar molecule, belonging to a family of carbohydrates. Hyaluronic acid is naturally occurring in our skin and helps to keep our skin plump and hydrated.
When injected into the skin in the form of a gel it helps to add volume and decrease wrinkles, it assists the replenishment of your body’s own production of hyaluronic acid which diminishes significantly as we age. The latest research also suggests hyaluronic acid may also stimulate your own production of collagen leading to fresher, firmer skin.
Belotero dermal fillers are the most advanced dermal fillers on the market and integrate seamlessly into your skin once injected, which is why we love them at Face to Face.
Age related changes and incorporating Dermal Fillers?
Today the signs and symptoms of the natural ageing process can be reduced by replacing hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is our skin’s natural moisturiser, that can hold up to 1000 times its own weight in water, thus helping to maintain the smoothness and plumpness of our skin.
The natural process ageing is caused by 3 main factors:
Skin dehydration due to a loss of our own hyaluronic acid leading to a decrease in elasticity, tone and radiance. Facial fat reduces and decends downwards, resulting in sagging of the skin and volume loss, which contributes to the appearance of lines, wrinkles and folds. Lastly a change in our bony structure and loss of muscle tissue, results in volume loss which contributes to changes in facial contours.
What are fillers used for?
Dermal Fillers are used to enhance your natural beauty. The beauty of this treatment is that it gives instant results. Dermal Fillers can:
Improve facial asymmetry
Restore facial volume (due to age related changes or weight loss)
Reduce the appearance of jowls
Enhance facial features like cheekbones and jawline
Soften fine lines and wrinkles
How long until I see results?
Results are immediate!
How long does it last?
Individual results may vary, and also depend on the type and thickness of filler we use. Results generally last 6 months to 2 years.
Who should not have filler?
You should avoid all treatments with filler if you have had:
• An allergic reaction to any of the ingredients
• A history of keloid scars or granulomas
• Have any permanent filler or any facial implants
• Have inflamed or infected skin
• Any internal infection like a sinus infection or urinary infection
• Pregnant women, breast feeding mothers or people under the age of 18
also cannot be treated
The most common side effects are bleeding, bruising, swelling, redness, itching and pain. These can be treated with cold packs, paracetamol and arnica cream and symptoms usually disappear on their own.
Rare side effects include Inflammation, infection, nodule formation, skin color change and allergic reactions.
Please advise Sarah if you have had any of below in the last 4 weeks.
• No Dental procedures including the oral hygienist are to be preformed
• No Tooth Whitening procedures either at home or in a clinic setting
• No Immunisations
• No Viral illnesses
• No Infection, either on the skin or internal like urinary tract infections, sinus infections etc.
• Avoid all blood thinning medication and food.
• Medication – Asprin, Ibuprofen, voltaren, diclofenac, celecoxib, naproxen Nurofen, Warfarin, Dabagatrin, Clexane
• Foods – Ginger, Tumeric, Garlic, Ginseng, Pineapple, Cayene pepper, Salmon, Red Wine, Cinnamon, Vitamin E, Grapefruit, Gingko biloba.
• No facial treatments at a beauty therapy clinic
If you develop any pain or heat at the injection site 1 week or more after treatment contact Sarah for advice.
• Apply a cool compress to the treatment area (do not apply ice directly to the skin).
• Take Paracetamol for any discomfort. Please don’t use any aspirin or ibuprofen.
• Avoid any heat inducing activities for 24 hours such as strenuous exercise, spas, saunas and hot showers.
• Avoid pressure on the area for the first 48 hours (sleep on your back if possible)
• No face down massages for 4 weeks.
• Avoid alcohol for 24 hours (Sarah prefers patients to abstain from alcohol for 7 days prior and 7 days post treatment for optimal results).
• Avoid active cosmeceutical products (AHAs, Retinols, Vitamin C) and oil based makeup for 24 hours. Mineral make up can be applied after 8 hours.
• Use a topical treatment to soothe and calm the skin such as Bepanthen or Arnica cream. Use this three times/day for the next 7 days.
• Avoid facials, waxing, chemical peels, skin needling, micro dermabrasion, IPL or laser treatments for 2 weeks after treatment. Please discuss your future treatment plans with Sarah.
• Do not massage the treatment area unless instructed to do so
Belotero is a MedSafeWANDS notified Medical Device Class III. Always read the label and follow instructions. This Medical Device must be injected by a trained Healthcare Professional. Belotero® is a gel containing hyaluronic acid and lidocaine that is injected by a healthcare professional into or below the skin to smooth facial wrinkles and folds, correct facial atrophic scars, restore or enhance the lips or restore facial volume such as in the cheeks and chin. Do not inject into blood vessels as this may lead to a lack of blood supply to the skin causing ulceration and scarring. Do not usein patients with known hypersensitivity to lidocaine or to amide-type local anesthetics, in pregnant or breast feeding women, patients under 18 years old or anyone with general infection. Belotero® should not be injected into areas with cutaneous problems of an inflammatory of infectious type or where a permanent implant has been placed. Use with cautionin patients taking antithrombotic medications or methemoglobin-inducing agents, active autoimmune disease, epilepsy, porphyria, impaired cardiac, hepatic or renal function or anyone with a history of multiple allergies, anaphylaxis, streptococcal diseases or predisposed to cheloids or hypertrophic scars. Use in the nose or periorbital area should only be performed by a trained experienced practitioner. Results are instant, do not affect facial expression and usually last between 6-18 months. Ongoing treatments are required to maintain best results. After Belotero® treatment patients mayexperience redness, swelling, pain, itching and/or bruising which may last up to a week. Other rare adverse events may include allergy, infection, nodules, granuloma, discoloration in the treated area and ulceration of the skin. Avoid makeup for 12 hours, saunas and prolonged UV exposure for 2 weeks following treatment. Belotero® must not be used earlier than 2 weeks following laser, peeling or dermabrasion treatment. Discuss with your specialist if Belotero is right for youBelotero® is a registered trademark of Merz Pharma GmbH & Co. Belotero® is an unfunded registered medical device. For more information please contact the New Zealand Distributor: New Zealand Medical & Scientific Ltd, 2a Fisher Crescent, Mt Wellington, Auckland, Phone 09 259 4062. TAPSNA 9594